Saturday, March 31, 2012

string to control name

I am looking for the way to convert a string, say it's called sTemp, to the actual control name.
I have say cMyControl as Control.
I want to set cMyControl = sTemp
I can't seem to find the right way to convert the string.

Thanks all,

ZathHi Zath,
You are trying to equal a string to a type Control. Which does not make sense. Its like equalling a line of text to your monitor. A Control has so many properties, like control ID, child controls, Parent and blah blah. So now, what you are trying to achieve and why
Thanks for the reply.

I have 4 imagas on a page. Depending on the number in the db field, I want the number of images to be visible.


'For i = 1 To intCnt 'intCnt is the number in the field
' sTmp = ("imgTest" & i) 'For the image names - imgTest1, imgTest2......
' j = CType(sTmp, Control) ' This line doesn't work
' j.Visible = True
'Next

Now it can be done with some if then statements, but if I ever increase the number above 4 in the db, then I will have to adjust the code.
And all the images are the same.
If there is a better way to do this, any suggestions are appreciated.

Zath

For i = 1 To intCnt
j = FindControl("imgTest" + i.ToString())

If Not j Is Nothing Then
j.Visible = True
End If
Next


Cool, thanks! Worked great.

Should have thought of that. I use the findcontrol for datagrid templates all the time....

Zath

0 comments:

Post a Comment